Shinny hockey at the MAC takes place twice a week throughout the Fall and Winter, primarily on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Any changes to the schedule will be communicated to participants and posted in the link above 1 week in advance of the next shinny date. Participants are asked to show their OneCard, or provide payment when signing in with the Athletics Staff situated outside the dressing room hallway.
Fall & Winter Shinny will be posted when the information becomes available.
The Ryerson Student, Alumni, Faculty and Staff Skates are held two times a week throughout the Fall & Winter, at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.
There are no Spring & Summer Ryerson Free Skates.
Fall & Winter Free Skates will be posted when the information becomes available.
Bring your family & friends to the Mattamy Athletic Centre for a free skate on Mattamy Home Ice.
Upcoming community skates will be held on:
To ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all Leisure Skate Participants, all users are required to observe the following regulations:
Community Skate Rules:
• All skaters 6 years and under must wear CSA approved hockey helmets. We also recommend that all beginner skaters over the age of six wear CSA approved hockey helmets for their protection.
• When on the ice, all patrons must wear skates. No shoes are permitted on the ice. When wearing skates off the ice, skate guards are recommended for safety.
• Skaters are not permitted to use cell phones or portable music devices while on the ice.
• To enter or leave the ice surface, patrons must use the gate in between the team benches.
• Food or beverages are not allowed on the ice surface.
• For the privacy and protection of our patrons, photography and videotaping is restricted. For special arrangements, please contact staff.
• Alcohol, abusive language and aggressive behavior are not permitted in the facility. Failure to abide by this rule may result in a suspension from the program and/or facility.
• The Mattamy Athletic Centre is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Please do not bring valuables into the facility.
For Leisure Skaters:
For the safety of all skaters, please
• Skate in the direction or flow of the other patrons
• Do not speed skate or skate backwards
• Do not carry children while on the ice
• Do not stop for extended times along the boards
• Do not play tag
• Figure skating jumps are not permitted
There may be an area reserved for beginner skaters. Please be careful when skating by this area.
• Skating walkers are permitted during leisure skate times.
• No sticks, balls, pucks, chairs or strollers are allowed on the ice surface. Exceptions will be made for sledges that are to assist those with physical disabilities. The person pushing the sledge is required to wear skates.
Staff are present for the well being of all patrons. Please ask staff for assistance if needed.
Each 1 hour rental consists of a 50 minute skate followed by a 10 minute flood. Each rental includes 2 dressing rooms, which are made available no earlier than 30 minutes prior to the start of the booking, and must be vacated no later than 30 minutes after the end of the ice rental. All ice rental groups and referees are required to bring their own locks for the dressing room doors in order to secure their belongings. Please do not leave any valuables in the dressing rooms.
The scoreboard is also included in the rental. The use of the Mattamy Home Ice sound system, as well as the videoboard and wireless microphones, can be made available for an additional fee. Please contact our Booking and Event Coordinator for more information.
All skating parties of 40 people or more will be charged an additional $50 per hour for an Arena Attendant and/or Access Control Staff to be on the ice throughout the rental. Please click here for the Mattamy Athletic Centre's policies and procedures with regards to skating parties and community skates. Please note that the maximum capacity on the ice surface at any time is 250 people.
All leagues must submit an insurance certificate covering $5 million. There is an additional $6.00 per hour fee added to all non-league, one-off rentals for on-ice insurance coverage.